Sunday, June 12, 2016

Day 6

I awoke today with a sense of foreboding from knowing I’d have to leave the comfortable bed I was in, however that was quickly replaced with excitement as I remembered the journey we planned to take today. I was elated to hear that I would have the opportunity to ride a double-decker bus and look even more like a tourist (I already had a Dublin, Ireland hoodie, obviously). After exiting the ride to the ferry, we walked onto the boat. After we were settled on it, I realized that we could stand outside on the back of the boat. My excitement reached its very peak standing outside being sprayed with salt water, and I spent the whole 45 minute journey allowing the wind to mess up my hair. Being on the boat was exhilarating, as was watching the islands disappear behind us as we made our way towards the islands of Aran.  



Once settled on the island, we luckily happened to stumble upon our guide, for whom we’d have otherwise likely spent precious time looking. We rented our bikes and made headway for where we’d be touring that afternoon. I continuously attempted riding with no hands, and was not discouraged by the many times I almost embarrassed myself while trying to appear suave. Surely, I thought, Tony Hawk had fallen a few times in his learning stages as well. We first made our way up to the cliffs, where we learned about the stone walls and forts that were built. People had first inhabited the island around the 5th and 6th century, and built those stone walls to protect against invaders. With the sea at their backs, they were well protected. Looking out onto the ocean, I was absolutely mesmerized at the waves clashing against the rock on the edges of the island. I was able to envision the people in the society and was struck with wonder knowing that I stood where the first of civilization was. The next place I had the pleasure of laying my eyes upon was a very old monastery on top of a hill. It was the second smallest monastery in Europe, bested only by one in Italy. It was quite small. After that, we traveled to a small clearing where a single salmon made of stone lay. We followed a tradition of prayer that was of ambiguous origin (though it was said to be Buddhist) that comprised of walking around the fish seven times, each time depositing a pebble in the small stone basket near the tail of the fish. This, in theory, was a special prayer that would help whomever the person prayed for in their time of trouble. It was a beautiful ritual, and was very powerful to me personally.



After we ate our ice cream and returned our bikes, I went to a sweater shop and bought a sweater made of Aran wool. I have to wait two whole seasons to wear it comfortably, but I can at least say I have it. The return journey home was quite fun, even more so than the ride there due to the fact that I was able to claim a spot on the top overlooking the back of the boat. I fell asleep on the double decker bus and almost missed my stop, however all was well as I walked back to the cabin I would be sleeping in. Thanks be to God for the sights I witnessed today; they were enlightening in their nature.



Benjamin Avery

3 comments:

  1. Has Owen introduced you all to Hurling yet? He usually brings some hurleys along for you all to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Hurlly. This trip he introduced us to Red Lemonade, and club rock shandy (a fusion of club orange- my fav- and club lemon- a fave of 3 of the students). He also got the students Irish candy...Cadbury chocolates, and some stuff that is similar to our pop rocks. He was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete